Patek Philippe Watch Box
This striking quilted maple box with spalted beech banding and ebony stringing was created by Wheathills to house a luxurious Patek Philippe watch originally made in 1937. The design of the box perfectly reflects the flamboyant style of the period.
Inlaid in micro marquetry on the box lid is an image of a view in Zurich, with the Munsterbrucke Bridge spanning the Limmat river and the Grossmuster Church. This design is encompassed by an image of the original form of the Patek Philippe piece – a fob watch with chain. Our artistic representation therefore incorporates a useful record of the history of this fine piece of jewellery, now used as a wrist watch.
The inner lid is inlaid with a description of the watch housed within. A tiger burr brown oak tray is fitted out to accommodate the watch and its component parts. All is protected by a glass cover. The tray is fitted with rose gold handles and this metal is also used on the lid hinges. Beneath the tray the compartment remains unfitted to enable storage of documentation.