The water-wheel was made for Earl Brownlow around 1820 to help supply water all over the Belton estate, including the fountain in the Italian garden.
The pump house and water-wheel eventually fell into disrepair and the pump itself is now in the Science Museum.
During 2011 wheelwright Neil Medcalf and a team of volunteers worked to restore the water-wheel and pump house.
However, having not been used for many years the floor and walls had deteriorated to the extent that subtle restoration and conservation was required.
Over the years numerous shades of natural lime wash had been applied and after scrape test analysis a gentle tone of off white was chosen as the majority colour. Seven coats of fresh lime wash was applied after re-pointing and making good of the brickwork.
Debris was cleared from the channels and re-flaunched in lime mortar. A green oak floor was laid and fitted with handmade rose-head nails. For safety a service hand rail was installed, again made out of green oak, mortise and tenoned with draw pegs.
A random plank cabinet and corner cupboard were created to conceal modern equipment and a new Douglas fir random sized plank door was recreated to replicate the original door which unfortunately was beyond repair.
Whilst it can no longer be used to supply water across the estate, we hope you agree that it is wonderful to see the wheel turning again.