Memory Boxes, Handmade Furniture, Designer Upholstery and Antique Restoration from Wheathills
Bespoke Marquetry Boxes Handmade Furniture and bespoke furniture commissions from Wheathills' French Polishers, Cabinet Makers and Traditional Upholsterers Marquetry Creation and Restoration Experts in the Conservation and Restoration of antique furniture, French Polishing and Cabinet Making
Wheathills Memory Boxes,  handmade furniture, Antique Restoration and Period Property Restoration History of Wheathills and the Heldreich Family Blogwith Features on Silver Hallmark and Antique Identification, Handmade Furniture and Boxes, and artickles about Wheathills. Features on How to Restore Antique Furniture, How To Spot fake antiques, how to identify silver hallmarks, how to identify silversmith and silver makers marks Contact Wheathills Client Testimonials
handmade furniture bespoke commissions
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 
   
 
   
 
   

A List of Silversmiths' Hallmarks & Silver Makers' Marks

This is by no means an exhaustive list of Silversmiths' Hallmarks, but gradually it will be built up into a reasonably substantial reference section for silver hallmarks and silver makers.
This page contains silver makers' marks for George Unite & Sons, Nathan and Hayes, George William Adams and The Alexander Clark Manufacturing Co.

George Unite & Sons
George Unite established his business in Birmingham in 1825. He had been apprenticed to Jospeh Willmore in 1810 and James Hillard. In 1852 he was listed as a silversmith operating from the premises at 16 Thavies Inn, Holborn, London which were also used by Nathanial Mills & Sons. By 1854, Unite advertised an extensive range of silverware usually of smaller items such as salt cellars, spoons, forks napkin rings etc from his premises at 65, Caroline Street, Birmingham. In 1880 the firm became George Unite & Sons and George Unite died on 19th October 1896 after which his two business partners dissolved their partnership in 1897. George Unite & Sons amalgamated into a limited company with the company of William Henry Lyde, an electroplate manufacturer operating out of 50 Newhall Hill, Birmingham and registered the new business under the name of George Unite Sons & Lyde. Ltd on 14th July 1928.
Silver Chatelaine   Silver Child's Rattle   Silver Vinaigrette
Silver Chatelaine Hallmark   Silver Child's Rattle   Victorian Silver Vinaigrette

Nathan and Hayes

George Nathan and Ridley Hayes who entered their mark in 1897. The company traded under the name of 'Nathan and Hayes' and operated from a number of premises as follows:
285 Icknield Street, Birmingham
Howard Street, Birmingham
13 Hatton Gardens, London.
The owners lived at the following premises
(a) George Nathan - Argent House, Handsworth then 243 Hagley Road Birmingham
(b) Ridley Hayes - 7 Clarendon Road, Edgbaston then Hall Road, Birmingham.

After 1912 Hayes is not listed and either he must be presumed to have died or perhaps Nathan bought out the company as the trading name continued to be 'Nathan and Hayes'. The company was absorbed by S Blanckensee & Sons Ltd later in the 20th century.
Nathan & Hayes were known for Arts and Crafts interpretations of early English silver.

Silver Cologne Bottle Silver Pepper Pot Silver Trinket Box Silver Tea Service
Silver Cologne Bottle Silver Pepper Pot Silver Trinket Box Silver Tea Service

George William Adams

George William Adams, a silversmith with Chawner & Co. George William Adams was the son-in-law of Mrs Mary Chawner, who took over her husband’s silversmith business, located at 16 Hosier Street Smithfield, London, after Mr Chawner’s death in 1834. Adams, who was born on 12th September 1808 married Chawner’s daughter, Mary Ann in 1838, and was made a partner in the company in 1840. Adams was from an established family of watchmakers and on the death of Mrs Chawner he became head of the firm but retained his links with the family watch making business. He sold the firm to Holland, Aldwinkle & Slater in 1883 and died in 1895, aged 87. The Company was a prolific producer of the very best quality silver flatware in a huge variety of patterns

  Silver Gravy Spoon 1   Silver Gravy Spoon 2  
  Silver Gravy Spoon 1 Silver Gravy Spoon 2

The Alexander Clark Manufacturing Co

Alexander, Clark & Co. are known as The Alexander Clark Manufacturing Co. and the company was founded by Clift Alexander Mawer Clark c.1891 with premises at 138, Fenchurch Street, London EC. The company was listed as being a manufacturer of dressing bag, portmanteau, purse and empty bag maker, silversmith and cutler. The firm had workshops in Oxford Street, London, Wellbeck Works, Sheffield and James Street Works, St James, Birmingham. The company entered its marks in September 1899, April 1904, February 1912 and April 1912. Most of the silver flatware produced by the company was with a Birmingham assay mark after the factory opened there.
 
Aleexander, Clark & Co Silver Hallmark
 
  Alexander, Clark & Co Hallmark from a Tea Caddy
 

 

Edward Charles Brown

George John Richards, a silversmith, is first registered at 261/2 (yes that's correct!) Sekforde Street Clerkenwell from 1845 - 1850; he moved to 35 Whiskin Street, Clerkenwell where he operated from 1851 to 1852; he was then recorded as operating from 20 Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell from 1853 - 1857. From c.1857, Richards was joined by Edward Charles Brown and operated under the name of Richards & Brown. Richards retired on 30th March 1867 and the business continued under the name Richards & Brown until Brown retired at the end of 1882. After Brown's death in early 1883, the company was taken over by John Williams Johnson and Alfred Springthorpe and was operated under the name Johnson & Springthorpe until 17th January 1885 when this partnership was dissolved. The business continued under J.W. Johnson who retired in October 1887. Mathew William White joined the business c. 1885 and the business operated under the name of Johnson & White from 1886 until 1889.

 
silver makers marks for E C Brown
 
Edward Charles Brown silversmith marks
 
  Silver Salt marks   Edward Charles Brown Mark

The Angell Family

Joseph Angell senior was the probably founder of Joseph Angell & Son c.1811 and operated out of 55 Compton Street Clerkenwell where he remained until 1834. He formed a partnership with his nephew John Charles Angell and entered a joint mark with him on 31st January 1831(i.e. JA over IA) and traded as Joseph & John Angell from Compton Street and had other premises at 25 Panton Street, Haymarket, London. In 1837 they were joined by Joseph Angell's (senior) son Joseph Angell (junior) and operated out of Panton Street under Angell, Son & Angell. In June 1840 John Charles Angell left the partnership and went into business with his eldest son George and began to operate under the name John Angell & Son. The company founded by Joseph senior continued to operate under the name of Joseph Angell & Son by both Joseph senior and junior. Joseph Angell senior retired on 8th January 1848 after which Joseph Angell junior ran the company under his own name and he had premises at Compton Street (aforesaid) and a retail outlet at 10 Strand. In 1863 Joseph junior entered partnership with John Browne, operating under the name Angell & Browne but this was dissolved in January 1876 and the business name changed to Angell & Co and in 1880 is listed at 10 Strand and 14 Old Bond Street W.
 
 Silver Makers Marks for the Angell Family
 
 
Angell Family Hallmarks On A Silver Tray

Page 2

If you found this information helpful it would be great if you could say so on
our Google Places page or our Qype page

Further features on hallmark identification can be found on our blog.

 
Web Design © Wheathills. Wheathills Farm, Brun Lane, Derby, DE22 4NE. Telephone: 01332 824819. Email: info@wheathills.com
Our normal opening hours are Monday To Friday 8.30am - 5.00pm and Saturday 10.00am - 4.00pm.