of the Ballroom
During the early 1800's
the Ballroom was constructed to a high standard by instruction
of the Mundy family, for entertaining their friends who
were once wined and dined at Markeaton Hall.
During the 1960's this room, along with
the rest of the house, was converted into flats. Rooms
were divided up with breezeblocks and ceilings lowered,
destroying much of the detail. The Ballroom, although badly
damaged, fared reasonably well as most of the main detail
had some remaining sections, which we could copy accurately.
We intend to remove the suspended ceiling, dividing walls,
rotten and concrete
floors, inappropriate panoramic windows
The original designs have been re-created
as accurately as possible, replacing the missing Regency
entrance door, a pair of French doors, 10 inch plank wooden
floor, plaster ceiling rose and chandelier, of which we
have sourced a beautiful piece that once graced
The barrel-back alcove, amazingly, had a substantial amount
of original wallpaper still intact, which has been conserved
and repaired. It also had a section of hand-drawn plaster
moulding around the alcove that will also be restored.
Timber skirting, chair rail, mouldings and architraves
have been faithfully created to match the original profiles
found on components scattered about the house and grounds.
The one original window shutter has been repaired in the
Wheathills workshops, used as a pattern to create the missing
opposite shutter and both carefully fitted in their original
The fireplace, now missing but originally from Markeaton
Hall, has been carefully re-created from photographs and
the scars left on the wall where it once stood have given
us vital clues on critical dimensions.
Now complete the fully decorated Ballroom
is used to host talks and lectures on Antiques and their
restoration and care. Together with the conservation of
buildings and associated restoration trades, our Lectures
and hands-on Workshop talks have been made all the more
enjoyable as a result of the beautiful Ballroom setting.